relative to tue 9-1-1 service
Even if OMNIVIGIL offers the aspects of a classic telephone service with many advantages, our telephony differs by a mobility that allows every consumers to transport their VoIP phone device or use a softphone to make a phone call via an internet connection wired or wireless, wherever on the planet. These possibilities and other importants factors have repercussions on the 9-1-1 service and your emergency call.
We want to make sure you know the importants differences between the operation of the 9-1-1 VoIP service and of the traditional 9-1-1 service. Here’s what you need to know.
VoIP services allow you to make or receive telephone calls over the Internet to or from the public switched telephone network. The nature of VoIP telephone calls, while appearing similar to traditional telephone calling services, create unique limitations and circumstances, and you acknowledge and agree that differences exist between traditional telephone service and VoIP telephone services, including the lack of traditional 9-1-1 emergency services.
Because of the unique nature of VoIP telephone calls, emergency calls to 9-1-1 through your VoIP service will be handled differently than traditional phone service. The following provisions describe the differences and limitations of 9-1-1 emergency calls, and you hereby acknowledge and understand the differences between traditional 9-1-1 service and VoIP calls with respect to 9-1-1 calls placed to emergency services from your account as described below.
PLACING 9-1-1 CALLS
When you make a 9-1-1 emergency call, the VoIP service will attempt to automatically route your 9-1-1 call through a third-party service provider to the Public Safety Answering Point (“PSAP”) corresponding to your address of record on your account. However, due to the limitations of the VoIP telephone services, your 9-1-1 call may be routed to a different location than that which would be used for traditional 9-1-1 dialling. For example, your call may be forwarded to a third-party specialized call centre that handles emergency calls. This call centre is different from the PSAP that would answer a traditional 9-1-1 call which has automatically generated your address information, and consequently, you may be required to provide your name, address, and telephone number to the call centre.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS PROVIDED
The VoIP service will attempt to automatically provide the PSAP dispatcher or emergency service operator with the name, address and telephone number associated with your account. However, for technical reasons, the dispatcher receiving the call may not be able to capture or retain your name, phone number or physical location. Therefore, when making a 9-1-1 emergency call, you must immediately inform the dispatcher of your location (or the location of the emergency, if different). If you are unable to speak, the dispatcher may not be able to locate you if your location information is not up to date.
CORRECTNESS OF INFORMATION
You are responsible for providing, maintaining, and updating correct contact information (including name, residential address and telephone number) with your account. If you do not correctly identify the actual location where you are located, or if your account information has recently changed or has otherwise not been updated, 9-1-1 calls may be misdirected to an incorrect emergency response site.
REAL TIME ADDRESS MODIFICATION
OMNIVIGIL transmit instantly to its specialized calls center every modification or changes added to your 9-1-1 address in the portal. Make sure that the information are always accurate and up to date.
You must not disconnect the 9-1-1 emergency call until told to do so by the dispatcher, as the dispatcher may not have your number or contact information. If you are inadvertently disconnected, you must call back immediately.
For technical reasons, including network congestion, it is possible that a 9-1-1 emergency call will produce a busy signal or will take longer to connect when compared with traditional 9-1-1 calls.
9-1-1 CALLS MAY NOT FUNCTION
For technical reasons, the functionality of 9-1-1 VoIP emergency calls may cease or be curtailed in various circumstances, including but not limited to:
- Failure of service or your service access device
- If your system access equipment fails or is not configured correctly, or if your VoIP service is not functioning correctly for any reason, including power outages, VoIP service outage, suspension, or disconnection of your service due to billing issues, network or Internet congestion, or network or Internet outage in the event of a power, network or Internet outage;
- You may need to reset or reconfigure the system access equipment before being able to use the VoIP service, including for 9-1-1 emergency calls;
- And changing locations – if you move your system access equipment to a location other than that described in your account information or otherwise on record with (company name).
If you are not comfortable with the limitations of 9-1-1 emergency calls, OMNIVIGIL recommends that you consider an alternate means for accessing traditional 9-1-1 emergency services or terminate the VoIP services.
INFORM OTHER USERS
You are responsible for notifying, and you agree to notify, any user or potential users of your VoIP services of the nature and limitations of 9-1-1 emergency calls on the VoIP services as described herein.
In accordance with its “Terms and Conditions” OMNIVIGIL disclaims any liability relating to its 9-1-1 service. It is therefore important for our consumers to read carefully, understand and practice the following.
A few tips
- Make sure to understand the limit of the 9-1-1 service and to share it with all the potential users of our phone services.
- Be ready to give your address and your callback phone number to the telephonist from the 9-1-1 service. The telephonist might not have all the information in hands.
- Don’t forget to put the caution stickers provided by OMNIVIGIL on a visible part of your phones devices.
- The 9-1-1 service won’t be accessible during a power failure (electricity or internet). It’s recommended to be prepared for this kind of situation. You can install an emergency alimentation source as a alimentation system without interruption (“uninterruptible power supply” or “UPS”) or an alternative phone device as a cell phone.
- Make sure to provide your most recent contact information for speaking disability cases during a 9-1-1 call by example, the telephonist from the emergency service don’t send the rescues at the right address because you would have forgot to modify your 9-1-1 address in the OMNIVIGIL portal.
For more information please contact our customer service by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 844-OMNIVIGIL (844-666-4844) extension 3202.